Monday, April 26, 2010

Sierra Leone: LION MOUNTAINS

In the womb of Lion Mountains I was conceived

In her absence I have rediscovered myself

I was forced to leave you motherland

But I am strengthened by your blood

The blood of freemen mixed with natives

On the western side of a continent

A home for Africa’s abandoned children


How I long to coil in your black belly again

And smell the aroma of foufou and tola

Cooked with hog-foot and canya pepe

And the tang of Mama Jeneba’s pemahun

Dispersed by the smell of kenda and dry-fish

To fold my index finger and lick the masangé

That made me a strong and healthy boy


Land that we love our Sierra Leone

Where lunch was never salad or sandwich

But fine Bo gari and a slice of kanya à la carte

Where dinner was served at the bottom of a pot

As numerous hands competed to feed each owner

And the children were left to scrape the krawo

Knowing hands and ages were no fair distributors


Land of my humble birth where I belong

I weep for you in the silence of my night

Knowing your children struggle for life

As you attempt to arise from the ruins of war

Slowly and painfully your head penetrates the rubble

Hope and your children pulling you up

To manifest your zeal that never tires

No comments: